White Rice is a really great, versatile and easy side dish that pairs with most any cuisine. I love to have an arsenal of really easy kid friendly foods. This perfect white rice is one of our home staples. Let me show how to make perfect white rice every time in your instant pot.
Isn’t white rice unhealthy?
I think people would argue and say that brown rice is healthier, and I don’t know maybe it is. But millions of people eat plain white rice as a staple of their diet so I’m ok with it too. In fact when I had to have a much stricter diet for my Ulcerative Colitis, white rice was the one and only grain I could tolerate for a really long time. It’s gentler on the gut. So there’s my take on it.
Benefits to cooking white rice in your Instant pot:
What I love about using the instant pot (I actually have this off brand electric pressure cooker) is that you don’t have to stand babysitting a cooking pot. I really love my Authentic Mexican Rice, but I have overcooked and burned it more times than I’d like to admit, when life has gotten crazy in the house. This rice while just more of a plain staple rice is impossible to mess up. You set it in the pot, push the button and walk away. It’s really SO easy.
About the rice:
I love jasmine rice. Any other kind of white rice would work just as well, I believe, but this is what I use and what I have experience with. I buy the big 25 pound bag of jasmine rice at Costco. Even with our large family eating it frequency it last a fairly long time. Having staples on hand makes life a little easier.
Here’s how to make perfect white rice every time:
- 2 cups Jasmine White Rice
- 2 cups of water
- Couple pinches of salt
- 1 Tsp. Ghee or Butter (Coconut oil would work as well)
1. Pour the dry rice into a strainer. Rinse it well.
2. Put the rinsed rice in the pot.
3. Add the water, salt and tsp of butter/oil.
4. Push the rice button on your pot. (or how many minutes).
5. Let it do a natural release. I like to use the white spoon that comes with the pot. Use a spoon and fluff it up a little and you are ready to serve it.
6. Perfect Every time!!
*I know I know it seems silly and unnecessary step but I've tried it without and it really is better if you rinse the rice. Rinsing the rice gets rid of any debris, but also extra starch that makes the rice clump or gummy. This rice is so easy, just go ahead and rinse it. It will work if you are in a super hurry to dump it right in, but the texture may not be "perfect", but it will still be good enough.
*Rice Ratio: 1:2 Rice to Water.
1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water
2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water
Ways to Serve Perfect White Rice:
- As a base for a stir-fry or curry.
- To extend ordered out Thai or other Asian food.
- Simple side dish with a meat and veggie.
- With Beans, salsa and cheese for a cheap, easy meal.
- Side dish for any kind of Mexican meal you are making.
- Saved for later to make into fried rice.
- Mixed with milk and sugar for a sweet rice dish.
- Served with butter (ghee or coconut oil) and salt as a side dish.
- Serve in in soup.